Tomsk State Pedagogical University
announces the II International Scientific Conference
VISUAL ANTHROPOLOGY – 2018
MODERN CITY: CONSTRUCTION OF PUBLIC SPACES
Tomsk, June 4–6, 2018
The conference continues the line of scientific analysis of visual and spatial parameters of human existence initiated by the scientific conference “Visual Anthropology: Integral Communication Models”, which was held in Tomsk on September 18–19, 2014, with the support of the Russian Humanitarian Scientific Foundation and the Administration of Tomsk Region.
Strategic Goals of the Conference
- development of regional, Russian and international scientific cooperation in the field of humanitarian issues of modern urbanistics
- creation of a scientific and discussion context for the exchange of research results between Russian and foreign scientists in the field of theory and practice in the formation of public urban spaces
- analysis and systematization of topical problems, trends and results in the field of socio-cultural topology of the city (at the regional, national and global levels)
- the convergence of fundamental urban studies with public and administrative practices in the modern city.
Scientific task of the conference: the study of a modern city processes of creative formation as a cultural and communicative space (the phenomenon of culture) with the accentuation of anthropological parameters.
The city is a specific and complex cultural object that embodies the basic aesthetic, social and philosophical attitudes of people living in it. The organization of public urban space visually fixes significant social meanings, values and priorities of culture, and also produces certain emotions, organizes a specific goal setting, affects the life strategy of a person and his or her daily activities. The city as a system of public spaces and a human as an active social and cultural subject are in complex relationship of mutual influence and definition; these relations can be fixed and researched in the field of multidisciplinary humanitarian studies, which can be designated as the integral term “humanitarian urbanistics”. The planned scientific conference will contribute to the formation of such an innovative research field.
Within the framework of the scientific conference it is planned to consider the following topics:
- History of formation, structure and functions of a modern city public space.
- Specificity of planning and organization of public spaces in a modern city.
- The role of city dwellers and the urban community in the formation of the communicative space.
- The relationship of the “traditional” and the “innovative” in the construction of public spaces in a historic city (city as a monument).
- The concept of “smart city” in the context of the modern urban knowledge development theory and practice of forming a “smart city” in the digital age.
- Axiology of public spaces; the influence of values on the formation of the city as a space of civil solidarity.
- Tomsk: regional identity and global status; Siberian city in the context of world processes of urbanization and intercultural communication.
Studying the traditions, methods and prospects for the urban public spaces design will allow us to formulate the principles of positive interference in the configuration of the inhabited space, creating a favorable living environment, preserving the atmosphere of cultural continuity, communication, civic identity, personal self-realization, the unity (continuity) of historical time and thereby bringing the urban environment to a “human-friendly” condition.
The content of the reviewed reports will be published in the specialized scientific journal “ΠΡΑΞΗΜΑ. Journal of visual semiotics”. The journal is indexed in the databases of the Russian Science Citation Index (RSCI) and Ulrich’s Periodicals Directory.
Conference languages: Russian, English